Ladder Geelong began in mid-2013 and is a partnership between Ladder, Barwon Child, Youth & Family Services and Yarra Community Housing.
It is dispersed Foyer - meaning accommodation is not located in the one building - with 10 fully furnished studio apartments across two sites. Young people are required to pay rent for their apartment with Ladder paying the balance.
The two year program is open to young people aged between 16 and 25 (must be under 23 upon referral) who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
How It Works
- A vacancy attracts referrals through the access point provided by Barwon Child, Youth & Family
- An interview process is conducted by the Geelong Development Coaches with the potential candidates
- Upon acceptance, the new young person is moved in to their new place
The Game Plan
To live in Ladder Geelong, young people must sign up to the Game Plan. This requires them to:
- Be engaged in or actively working towards Employment, Education or Training
- Attend monthly Game Plan/Progress Review meetings and complete agreed tasks which includes their support worker
- Meet the obligations of a normal lease
- Treat others and live in a manner which aligns to our values of Respect, Honesty and Commitment
What else do Ladder Geelong offer?
A variety of weekly workshops developed to support the young people with their ongoing transition to independence. This also includes social outings (Social Club) for things like dinner, the movies, etc.
Health and Wellbeing sessions
This includes partnering with a local gym that provides a free six month membership, as well as other healthy day to day activities like affordable grocery shops.